Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

2008/5/6 Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
> Interesting, I have:
>
>        LANG=en_NZ.UTF-8
>
> and in /etc/console-tools/config
>
>        SCREEN_FONT=lat0-sun16
>
> With that setup, Dotan Cohen's line looks like solid black squares
> separated by dashes.
>
> An
>
>        apt-get install fonty-rg
>
> and changing /etc/console-tools/config to:
>
>        SCREEN_FONT=chavo
>
> Dotan Cohen's line looks like solid black squares with a weird looking
> question mark in each one.
>
> I wonder if the setting of APP_CHARSET_MAP should be changed?
>
> I tried changing it from APP_CHARSET_MAP=iso15 to APP_CHARSET_MAP=utf8
> but no change in display (Got errors on bootup about findacm no such
> file or directory)
>
> Anyone any ideas?

Check that "en_NZ.UTF-8" is a legal locale on your machine, and that
it should not be "en_NZ.utf8". The -a flag on the locale command will
show you. On my machine, the "utf" letters are lowercase:
hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ locale -a
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8