Re: Clearing SWAP

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:20:57AM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sun May 4 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > the login is automatically done.
> automatic with passwords?

see man login, option "-f"

If you do not want fully automatic logins, consider something in
/etc/inittab like

3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -iwn -I "user3@hostname [Enter]" -l /etc/NN/login.user3 38400 tty3

where /etc/NN/login.user3 is executable by root and contains two lines:

#!/bin/sh
exec /bin/login -f user3 "$@"

Again, this permits autologin even when the user has no valid password
simply by hitting "enter" at the login prompt, but the point is that
there must be some interaction and so no automatic starting of X happens.

> > But let me rephrase the question: if for any reason X does not want to
> > start (and it keeps failing and failing, in the suggested
> > configuration), do you known how to boot in a X-less way to correct the
> > problem? [Hint: in the suggested configuration, X automatically starts
> > only in runlevels 2 and 3]
> telinit 1 ??

this will work if you can interact with, say, tty1. But when X is
continuously tring to restart and continuously fails, it is very
difficoult to interact with /dev/tty1 (however, the default init can
temporarilly disable inittab entries when "respawning too fast: disabled
for 5 minutes")

A reboot with runlevel 1 4 or 5 (in the kernel command line of the boot
loader) will surely do.