Re: Clearing SWAP

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/03/08 13:06, Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Sat May 3 2008, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Sure.  This is my alias for startx:

    alias startx='startx -- :0 vt07'

My wife and daughter use:

    alias startx='startx -- :1 vt08'
    and
    alias startx='startx -- :2 vt09'

The sessions usually get started in that order, but it makes no
difference if they are started in other orders.  My session is always on
VT-07, my wife gets VT-08 and my daughter gets VT-09.  That way, I have
an fvwm2 button bar at the bottom of the screen for each of us and I can
have a button to go to either of the other sessions that always gets you
to the correct session.
so, you don't automagically start the X server on bootup, or, maybe I'm still not clear on the process... these alias lines goes in .bashrc?

Each user's .bashrc get's a different startx alias.

so If I put that in our .bashrc files, rebooted, X comes up, and logged her in, she would be on vt08?

In this configuration, X does *not* start on boot.  The wife and
daughter must log in at the Scary Black Screen Of Doom.
That is correct. We boot to the console and login from there, then start X with the startx command which is actually the above alias for each login.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com