dell 8200 ATI dual head video inoperable - Debian etch

Hi,

I am trying to configure a single video card dual monitor configuration for my :

dell inspiron 8200
ATI radeon M9000 video card
laptop display = 1400x1050 LCD
external display = ViewSonic VX924 = 1280x1024 LCD

I have attempted for many hours to implement changes to the xorg.conf file with no success

I am using etch stable

I have tried lenny testing but it just gave me a duplicate screen of incorrect resolution

** I would like to be able to have two different windows open on the two displays and be able maximise each window

Please give provide me with a detailed description of steps involved - I am curently overwelmed
by teh technical jargon and detail provided on the forums

thank you very much for your time

Sanat