Missing symbols: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs

I have some old win95 bridge programs I want to use. Wine installs, loads and runs them perfectly except a box shape appears wherever a symbol for spades, hearts, diamonds or clubs should appear. I have tried using xfontsel to change the font the program in using without success. It does not appear to change the font even in the terminal window. I could use the programs if they would display any distinctly different symbols for the card suits but at present I get the same box shape for every suit symbol.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can get distinctive symbols?

Tom