Re: problem setting user and group on mounting a cifs share - Please help

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:33:39AM +0200, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > To debug the problem, logs on both the clients and the server would be
> > useful.
>
> I'm not seeing any messages in /var/log/syslog or messages, which logs
> exactly do you mean?

even if on the client side there are no logs, there might be logs on the
server side (the machine which shares the directory). If it is a windows
machine (as opposed to a samba machine), you shold ask for assistence to
a experienced windows user.

> I have also seen the bahaviour
>
> -- drwxrwxrwx 8 root root 0 2008-04-26 20:42 share
>
> of the share, and
>
> drwxrwxrwx 461 identd users 0 2008-01-21 17:57 music
>
> of the subdirectories on another machine, I'm not even sure if thats not "normal".

In general, for any kind of mount, the mountpoint and its subdirectory
might, but need not, have the same owner/group/permissions.

But what I previously understood was that the problem was that two
different machines show different owner/group/permissions, not that on
the same machine the owner/group/permissions are different for the
mountpoint and its subdirectories.

>  That's why I'm posting to this list.
> Those user and group rights let me otherwise work normaly on the share
> (like in Konqueror etc).  Rsync does not like them for some reason.

which is the exact rsync command that you give?
On which host you give the rsync command, and as which user?
What is the error message which rsync gives?