Re: How To Find Which Sound Device Is Used?

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
>  In my config I am pointing to /dev/dsp, but I don't think that's
>  actually in use.  It could be, but everything else with IceCast and

I'm not familiar with blackice, so I don't know how relevant this is
to your situation, but when I was actively recording radio shows I
used sox directly to record the incoming stream in real-time. While
this works, and can encode to ogg or other formats on the fly, there
are some issues with it. For instance, if you have a microphone and
don't set the mixer settings right, you can end up with undesirable
background noise from the microphone mixed in to the recording, and if
the mixer settings are also not set right, you may introduce
distortion in the result because levels were set too high.

Also, this type of ogg on the fly streaming / encoding is II think)
still limited to 128 kbps rates, and you might require higher
bandwidth.

I later switched methods for this type of thing, and used mplayer to
dump the audio on the fly. But I had to wait until the program was
over before I could really make use of it (e.g., open up the resulting
file in audacity, do some basic edits and such, then burn the
resulting file to a CD).

One of the commands I used to use was:

#! /bin/sh
sox -V -c2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp $1.ogg

I don't see why you'd use a different device than /dev/dsp for this.