Re: Mail-Followup-To and mutt [Was: Re: How to refresh Debian to install software set]

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 01:12:17 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:51:03PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > If you do not explicitly "subscribe" (in ~/.muttrc) to a mailing list
> > then mutt will generate Mail-Followup-To headers for the list address
> > and for your personal address. It assumes that you are not subscribed
> > (in reality) to this list but you still want to receive reactions to
> > your mail directly:
> >
> > file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#followup-to
> > file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/configuration.html#lists
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > subscribe 'debian-.*@lists\.debian\.org'
> >
> > should suppress the personal Mail-Followup-To header for all debian
> > lists. You can also use "unset followup_to", which will suppress the
> > generation of any Mail-Followup-To headers for mailing lists.
>
> From what I read here:
>
> ,----[ man muttrc ]
> | followup_to
> |      Type: boolean
> |      Default: yes
> |
> |      Controls whether or not the Mail-Followup-To header field is
> |      generated when sending mail. When set, Mutt will generate this
> |      field when you are replying to a known mailing list, specified with
> |      the subscribe or lists commands.
> `----

...and in the next paragraph:

    This field has two purposes. First, preventing you from receiving
    duplicate copies of replies to messages which you send to mailing
    lists, and second, ensuring that you do get a reply separately for
    any messages sent to known lists to which you are not subscribed.
    The header will contain only the list’s address for subscribed
    lists, and both the list address and your own email address for
    unsubscribed lists. Without this header, a group reply to your
    message sent to a subscribed list will be sent to both the list and
    your address, resulting in two copies of the same email for you.

My version of mutt (1.5.17+20080114-1+b1) is newer than yours, so maybe
this behavior was changed recently or the older manpage is less
explicitly clear about it.

> mutt will generate the Mail-Followup-To header only if I 'subscribe' to
> the list. So by my policy of minimal changes it makes sense to leave it
> at the default (yes) and not subscribe to any mailing list.

Interesting, I did not know that "list-reply" still works in this case.
I now tried it and it does, contrary to what the documentation seems to
suggest:

    list-reply (default: L)

    Reply to the current or tagged message(s) by extracting any
    addresses which match the regular expressions given by the lists or
    subscribe commands, ...

          Florian   |