Re: How do I get the tar.gz file out of a TPB.torrent file?

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:35:08PM -0430, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> > But nowhere have I found how to unpack the contents of the TPB.torrent
> > file so I can use it.  Many sites claim a torrent file is a RAR archive,
> Run something like this:
> rtorrent TPB.torrent

Thanks for replying.  I don't have rtorrent installed, but by looking
at aptitude, I see that it is just another client, and I already have
one installed.  I have bittorrent and bittorrent-gui, which, like
the many FAQ files I've read is a client that downloads the files.

> Then this will start downloading all the files and letting it in some
> place where you ran the `rtorrent' command. The torrent file is

Actually this has already been done.  I downloaded the file and it is
sitting in the directory where I told the browser/bittorrent to put it.
I'm talking here about the TPB.torrent file.  See below for the source
of the confusion.

> something like the specification of where needs to connect and what
> needs to download.

Aha! seeing the output of btshowmetainfo (which had the name of a tar.gz
file), I assumed that the torrent file was some sort of archive that
contained it.  I just did an ls -l and of course it's not big enough to
contain a tar.gz file that took this long to download.  So I went
looking for it and there it was, in my home directory!  This was
confusing as I told the browser/bittorrent to save it in /var/tmp, which
is where the TPB.torrent file ended up.  Why did the tar.gz file end up
not in the directory I specified? I don't know.  But now that I've found
it, I know to look for the files where I didn't tell the
browser/bittorrent to put them.

Thanks for replying.  That was the tip I needed to figure it out.

A.