How do I get the tar.gz file out of a TPB.torrent file?

Hi,

Obviously I've never dealt with bittorrent before.  I've read quite a
bit on the web about how it works, the software to install, etc...
But nowhere have I found how to unpack the contents of the TPB.torrent
file so I can use it.  Many sites claim a torrent file is a RAR archive,
but unrar claims it is not.  "file" claims it's a torrent file, so it
identivies is correctly, and "btshowmetainfo" displays what's in there
(a tar.gz file) but nowhere have I found an "untorrent" or "torrent -x"
or equivalent.

Man -k torrent doesn't give anything that seems usable.  Searching with
aptitude (/torrent) only reveals various clients.  They all get the
torrent files to your computer, but what to do from there?  HELP!

Any hints will be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

A.