Re: Trying to install the Ralink wireless drivers

On 04/26/2008 09:43 AM, James Allsopp wrote:
Thank you for that Mumia, but I'm not sure why to use a different site, would apt-get install -t testing kernel-image work? I've looked at their web-site and says it uses etch libraries, but surely that wouldn't affect the kernel. I'm really new to debian so any explanations would be good.
Jim

I think you would do this:

apt-get -t stable install linux-image-2.6.22-4-486

Note, I use apt-pinning for this rather than to set a target release, so I'm not sure about the "-t stable" part.

You might want to use backports.org because Debian's Etch is frozen in time, but backports.org has newer software that has been backported to Etch. Backports.org even contains updated kernels such as 2.6.22.

Do this:

(change your /etc/apt/sources.list)
apt-get update
apt-get -t stable install linux-image-2.6.22-4-486

There will probably be an issue with the signatures; someone else can help you fix that since I can't remember how I dealt with this on my system.

Good luck.