Re: Problems understanding RAM usage in top

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>  On 04/25/08 11:46, David wrote:
> >
> > Is it normal for 'top' to show that most of your physical memory
> > is used when there aren't any processes running? (besides the
> > usual init, getty, klogd, sshd, etc).
>
>  Yes.

Yup.

> > I assume that this memory is being used for Linux caches - file
> > buffers etc to speed up disk access and so on.
>
>  Yes.

Ditto.  Type free.  For a personal workstation, the relevant bit's how
much swap's used.  Where's your memory?  Look at the size of that
massive /proc/kcore of yours.  No, don't try to delete it.  :-)

> > Is there a way to tell how much memory the Linux kernel is using,
> > and what for?
>
>  Not really.  Kernel 2.6.26 should expose better memory usage data,
>  but apps like top(1) will have to be rewritten to use the new info.

Er, what?  Have we done away with RSS and VSZ, or are they just
momentarily lost?  Is this Sid stuff?

>  We want... a Shrubbery!!

JMO, you need a new .sig, but who am I to talk?