Problems understanding RAM usage in top

Hi list.

Is it normal for 'top' to show that most of your physical memory is
used when there aren't any processes running? (besides the usual init,
getty, klogd, sshd, etc).

I assume that this memory is being used for Linux caches - file
buffers etc to speed up disk access and so on. Is there a way to tell
how much memory the Linux kernel is using, and what for?

I'm busy tracking down OOM killer issues on a server and I'm wondering
if there is a memory leak somewhere (eg: lvm or another kernel
module). Nothing (besides the usuals) is running, but top is showing
900/1024 MB ram used, and 158/1024 MB swap used.

David.