Almost Working (was:Re: Help using my new scanner)

Rich Healey wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:
Thierry Chatelet wrote:
On Thursday 24 April 2008 07:36:01 you wrote:
Thierry Chatelet wrote:
Are you in scanner group?
Yes, my original post says that I changed the device node's group to
scanner and added myself to the group, then logged out and back in.
Why did you change the device node's group? I have never done that to
get a scanner recognized.
Thierry
PS: respond to the list, not to me in private. It helps other people
on the list.
Thanks
The nodes owner was root:root.  I want to be able to use the scanner as
a normal user.

- From memory debian uses setuid wrapper binaries to get around this in
the userland anyway, thereby letting users use devices, but not interact
directly with them.

It's all about security ;)
After trying a number of other things, unsuccessfully, including compiling save from sources so that I could compile a different backend from source which is supposed to work with my scanner. I finally got the scanner to function if I run xscanimage AS ROOT! I don't want to have to do that. I then uninstalled all of that mess and reinstalled sane from the Debian packages. I then remembered about /dev/.static/dev and added the scanner node there. I think that was when things started to work. Apparently adding the node in /dev did not work, but /dev/.static/dev did. I then changed its ownership to root:scanner and its permissions to 664, but I still can't run as myself, only as root. Do I need to rebout for those changes to take effect? Is there some way to set it up with the ownerchip and permissions that I want directly from mknod? Is there a better way to get this working properly?

All help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com