Fwd: OT (slightly) swap limits

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rafael Fontenelle <rffontenelle@gmail.com>
Date: 25/04/2008 01:31
Subject: Re: OT (slightly) swap limits
To: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com>

2008/4/25, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com>:
Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> Being in an interview loop looking for employment, I find I am asked
> questions I never considered, for example:  How much is enough swap?

For desktops, from my experience, I would say you need at least as much as
your RAM. To be on the safe side, I go for 2 times the RAM.

I hibernate my desktops pretty frequently. When hibernating a machine, a
snapshot of the RAM is written on to the swap partition. That is why I
follow "at least as much as RAM" rule.

hth
raju

--