Re: How to refresh Debian to install software set

Damon L. Chesser wrote the following on 04/24/2008 08:09 AM:
Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
Greetings;

I have four Debian systems and a couple of them seem to have gotten in the state that they don't have a full set of packages for some reason.

Is there any way to do a refresh or reinstall of the system to make sure everything is there? Short of an install from the beginning that is!! I can figure that one out with no help. ;-)

Many TIA!
Dennis

Dennis,

One way it to get on a "good" system and do: dpkg --get-selections >complete_good_package_backup.txt

Move that file over to a "bad" system and: dpkg --set-selections <complete_good_package_backup.txt

followed by  apt-get dselect-upgrade

your "bad" system will now install all the packages your "good" system has listed. This is also a way to "clone" a load out (that and copy /etc, /var, and any data). I do not think it will remove any pacakges "bad" has that "good" does not unless it conflicts with the upgrade (but I have not tried it, so am not sure).

Thanks, Damon, I'll think about that method.

The problem is that I don't know if I have a system that qualifies as a "good" system right now! :-(