Re: Unmet dependencies Xfce4

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2008-04-24 08:06 +0200, andy wrote:

Can someone please advise on the best way to handle the following
situation of unmet dependencies:

$ sudo apt-get install xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-goodies
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 xfce4-systemload-plugin: Depends: libxfce4util-1 (>= 4.2.1-1) but it
is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libxfcegui4-3 (>= 4.2.1-1) but it
is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

This is on a Lenny machine.

I haven't investigated the situation, but in general it is better to use
aptitude rather then apt-get if you encounter such problems, because
aptitude is much more verbose about unmet dependencies and can try to
resolve them interactively.

Looking at packages.debian.org, xfce4-systemload-plugin depends on
libxfce4util4 (>= 4.4.1) and libxfcegui4-4 (>= 4.4.1) and has not been
upgraded since June 2007, so you probably have put some package on hold
or something like that.

Sven

As I only use apt-get, I don't see how I could have put a package on hold. Also, I was under the impression that one should not mix apt-get and other package retrieval systems for the reasons that these unmet dependencies seem to suggest.

So, might I merely go ahead and manually install these two missing libraries or is that likely to result in Xfce4 melt-down?

Cheers

Andy