emacs sarge surprise!

Check this out, I downgrade to sarge which was the highest form of sarge before everything moved along into etch and later lenny. The aptitude package was uninstalled and so I try repeating that operation where bsdgames and emacs21 get installed together. Emacs21 has aptitude as a dependency and cannot install without aptitude being preinstalled and happy. If that problem never did get remedied (aptitude required to install emacs) then there's no point in my taking any of this any further. For one thing aptitude ought to be a pre-dependency of emacs and apt-get didn't know about that and let me know either.