Re: badblock can not be detected

On 22-Apr-08, at 6:06 AM, Adrian Levi wrote:

On 22/04/2008, gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com <gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com> wrote:
Oh dear, that's quite a bad news.
that's what I have encountered. when I heard the noise of hard drive reset, and checked the dmesg to make sure about it, I reformatted the hard drive, then copy my data in again, it worked. but after some days, it starts to tell me about read error again.
 so, this means the hard drive has died, right?

Install smartmontools and interrogate the smart data on the drive, if
it reports a reallocated sector count and it keeps growing you know
your drive is on it's way out. A static reallocated sector count
doesn't necessarily mean your drive is bad but if that count keeps
growing it's not a good sign.

Note that I don't believe smartmontools will work thru the USB interface - you'll have to use the native SATA or ATA interface (e.g. install it in a tower)

Brian