Re: wakeonlan

Paul Csanyi wrote:
Hello!

I have a small network at home.

I want to setup the gateway/router Debian Etch to wake up the server box with
wakeonlan.

The server box - Debian Etch has enabled the "Resume on LAN" field in
the Power Management Setup of the Award BIOS.

The server box have also a NIC with wake on LAN cable properly set up.

When I run the command wakeonlan the server box wan't not to wake up.

I use the right MAC address of the servers NIC in this command.

Why can't I use wakeonlan to bring up the server from the gateway?

Any advices will be appreciated!

You have to ensure that the network card is not powered down when the system is shut down. After shutdown, check whether the LEDs of the ethernet adapter are on. If not you may have to use `ethtool` to ensure that the ethernet card is not powered down.

I use `ethtool -s eth0 wol g` to achieve this.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi