Re: urgently need help with Debian can't started

Pete Kay wrote:
After I installed scim-pinyin, I rebooted the server and I can't bring up Debian X-window anymore. It does request for the username and password, but then it just hangs there in the screen, and does not go to the main window. I can reboot to get to command prompt. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can restore my X-window using some apt-get install "package"? How to do that? There are many information in the machine that I don't want to lose.

I'm unsure what scim-pinyin is (aptitude show didn't help me much), but you might try uninstalling it.

But to answer your question, yes, you can restore your X Windowing System, but you may not need to apt-get anything.

Can you switch to a text terminal (using the keystroke Ctrl-Alt-F1)? Or, as you mention, you can reboot into a command prompt.

Then check your X logs (with a command like "tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log"). Look for anything obvious.

I'd probably try starting X with a very simple windowing environment, as root (generally you don't want to run X as root; you might want to unplug from the network first, and be careful not to do much while root). One way to do this is to edit/create the file "~/.xinitrc" and put the single line in there of "twm" or "icewm", using the name of a simple window manager like twm or icewm. Or better yet, put "xterm" into ~/.xinitrc for a very minimal X. You might need to "apt-get install icewm twm" to get them first. Then run "startx".

If it fails, again, check the logs, and at this point, you might want to uninstall scim-pinyin.

If it works, go back and use the simple windowing environment with your normal user.

This will give you a clue as to if the problem is X or your windowing environment.

You might also want to create a new user and try logging into X as that user. It might be user-specific.

Let us know how it goes.

--
Kent