urgently need help with Debian can't started

Hi,

After I installed scim-pinyin, I rebooted the server and I can't bring up Debian X-window anymore.  It does request for the username and password, but then it just hangs there in the screen, and does not go to the main window.

I can reboot to get to command prompt.  Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can restore my X-window using some apt-get install "package"?
How to do that?  There are many information in the machine that I don't want to lose.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Pete