Re: [OT] Naming Schemes (was: Laptop with Linux preinstalled)

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:51:03AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>
>  > But a name can be a snare and a delusion:  we had another
>  > quasi-classical name, atticus, so called because it was located in the
>  > attic.  Then we moved house and it was relocated under the stairs...
>  > And I had my office in the potting-shed for a time, so my very
>  > odd-looking skeletal tower box, with bits bolted on in all directions,
>  > was named potty.  But it soon moved indoors and got a new case so that
>  > name was out of date too.  And how much refitting is needed to justify a
>  > rename?  new processer, new case, new motherboard, new hard drives, but
>  > all at different times, so at which point should it be renamed?
>
>  My (currently down) computer is called bixi, because it has an Intel BX
>  mainboard. If it turns out I will have to replace it (I hope it's only
>  the memory, otherwise I'll have to change just about everything) I'll
>  have to think of a new name as well.

Whereas my main computer has had the same name since I set it up--
neuromancer.  My naming scheme is AI computers/robots (I have to throw
in robots to include my fiance's computer, Canti).  That system has
been in several cases, with several different processors (AMD Duron,
P3, now Celeron D).  The only thing that's remained constant is most
of the data in my home dir, and even that's moved across a couple
harddrives.

--
Vikki Roemer

Registered Linux user #280021

"Sometimes the lights all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been."
 -- Grateful Dead, "Truckin'"