Re: moving /usr, /var, and /etc

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 01:29:29PM +0800, Antony wrote:
> I have a Debian system on really small Flash memory like an embed system. A
> hard drive is mounted onto the system. I want to add more processes to the
> system like mail server. But the problem is /usr, /var, /etc are running out
> of space on the Flash memory. I'm planning to do the following:
>
> - make /usr, /var, /etc, /home directories on the mounted hard drive.
> - copy /usr, /var, /etc, /home original directories to new created
> directories.
> - edit /etc/fstab to mount these directories to new created locations.
> - remove the old /usr, /var, /etc, /home directories.
>
> Is that unsafe to do so?
> Do files in these directories being accessed before mounting from
> /etc/fstab?

Let me get this straight.... you are going to update fstab, which
resides in /etc, with information telling the system how to mount
/etc?

Moving /usr, /var and /home should be fine - it is quite normal to
have those as separate filesystems. You shouldn't really have to
move /etc (it shouldn't grow that much) but if you really want to
it won't be a simple minded task.

Regards,
DigbyT