Re: Source code editor

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:19:34 +0300
Tero Mäntyvaara <termant@gmail.com> wrote:

> David Goodenough wrote:
> >> You will not find any "real" IDEs in Linux. However, vim/gvim can do what
> >> you describe. Emacs (another powerful editor) is also capable of doing what
> >> you describe.
> >>
> >> hth
> >> raju
> >> --
> >> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> >> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
> >> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Well that is not entirely true.  One you will find (all beit back level) is
> > Eclipse.  Now many people think of Eclipse as a Java IDE, but it is much
> > more and includes CDT for developing C and C++ code.  It has line numbers,
> > file browsing and selection, context help, debugging etc all build in.  It
> > also can work with various version control systems like CVS, SVN and the
> > like, and also has support for tracking bugs in Bugzilla, JIRA and Trac (in
> > version 3.3).
> >
> > You do need to install Java to run it, an it is not exactly light weight.
> >
> > Personally I would not use the Debian packaged version (3.2.2-5) but
> > rather I would use version 3.3 which is easy to download and install.  I
> > use it with Sun Java-6 which is available as a Debian package.
> >
> > David
> >

> Eclipse is used in graphical user environment only. I wished to find a
> shell program.  :-)

For a proper "ide" that works in the shell I would say you best bet is either
vim or emacs.

vim's mode of operation is that you have two modes, a command mode and an
editing mode.

emacs is more in the spirit of "Standard" editors where you use key modifiers
for commands instead of a command mode.

Other than that they are both very powerful with a lot of extensions and
syntax highlighting (I believe that  it should also work in shell mode, it does
work in the console)