Re: Source code editor

On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> > I am looking for shell program for source code edition. I have used
> > nano, but it isn't enough. I need more "real" IDE like functionalities
> > eg constant view of current row number, file browser and selection,
> > cutting, pasting and copying functions. I also tried to use motor, but I
> > got segmentation fault after execution... :-/ I am using Etch.
>
> You will not find any "real" IDEs in Linux. However, vim/gvim can do what
> you describe. Emacs (another powerful editor) is also capable of doing what
> you describe.
>
> hth
> raju
> --
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Well that is not entirely true.  One you will find (all beit back level) is
Eclipse.  Now many people think of Eclipse as a Java IDE, but it is much more
and includes CDT for developing C and C++ code.  It has line numbers, file
 browsing and selection, context help, debugging etc all build in.  It also
can work with various version control systems like CVS, SVN and the like,
and also has support for tracking bugs in Bugzilla, JIRA and Trac (in
version 3.3).

You do need to install Java to run it, an it is not exactly light weight.

Personally I would not use the Debian packaged version (3.2.2-5) but
rather I would use version 3.3 which is easy to download and install.  I
use it with Sun Java-6 which is available as a Debian package.

David