Re: Source code editor

On 15/04/2008, Tero Mäntyvaara <termant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for shell program for source code edition. I have used nano,
> but it isn't enough. I need more "real" IDE like functionalities eg constant
> view of current row number, file browser and selection, cutting, pasting and
> copying functions. I also tried to use motor, but I got segmentation fault
> after execution... :-/ I am using Etch.
>

>  Tero Mäntyvaara

Tero

I use vi and vim on separate machines.  Really what you are asking for
is an ncurses IDE but I don't know of any around.

Vim is vi improved and has syntax highlighting ( ':synatx enable' but
don't forget ':set background=light|dark' first - choose light or dark
there ). Vim is easier to use than vi in some respects but uses the vi
commands like 'i; to insert, ':sh' to get to a shell, and so on.  My
OpenBSD box has vi not vim.

Look up the cheat sheets on vi.  One useful command to remember is Esc
to stop inserting or get out of another command.  ':help' may help too
but is a bit archaic in it's navigation technique so learn that first.

I think it is worth learning vi/vim because you will encounter it on
many *nix and BSD systems.

Regards

L.