Re: Reg Blind

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:39:40PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > Doug, I think it's a great idea -- I wonder just how complicated it is
> > to get sound up and working during the install... It can't be that
> > bad, I think windows does it.
>
> If it turns out to be difficult (perhaps due to size constraints),
> perhaps there could be one or two popular (cheap) hardware options for
> people who find it doesn't work.  E.g. "If you don't hear "Welcome to
> the Debian Installer" when you boot the installer, you may attach one of
> the following to your computer temporarily during the install: sb
> (supports a lot of cards), or perhaps a USB device that is easy to find
> and cheap.

hmm... reading this leads me to think that someone who *needs* sound
(a category that most of us *don't* fall into no matter how much we
think we might) would be particularly conscious of the need to have
compatible sound equipment. It may be that the majority of blid
computer users already think of this -- "I need sound that positively
works" -- and purchase equipment accordingly. But that's only a
guess. My point though is that it may not be such a difficult problem
as we think. Put the most common, most compatible, drivers in and call
it good.

Is there a "standard" sound interface? sort of like there is the vesa
driver in video that works with (essentiall) *every* video card?

and one more thought. Could it be possible to write a video driver
that is essentially a dummy? A blind user does need X to actually draw
on the screen (unless they're working with a sighted assistant). It
only needs X to think it's drawing on the screen...

just some, probably very naive, thoughts on the issue...