Re: sidux

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:46:26AM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:

Both of you, thanks!

> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> In your opinion, am I right in my assessment that testing is more
> >> likely to be in an unusable state for longer than sid?  (at least at
> >> the package, not system, level)?
> >
> > No, I don't think so. If a package has a bug that makes it unusable,
> > then
> >
> > a) Someone will generally notice a bug in the two weeks before that buggy
> >    package gets into testing, and file a RC bug to keep it out.
> > b) If a bug that makes a package unusable does get into testing, it
> >    can be fixed in 2 days in most cases.
> > c) The graph of release critical bugs[1] currently shows 1750 in unstable,
> >    and only 571 of those affect testing. (658 of them affect *stable*).
> >    http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

Interesting to see that Etch has more RC bugs than Lenny at this
point.

> I second the experience that there are not too many, if any serious
> problems with testing. I've been using testing on 'newer' computers --
> especially laptops -- that wouldn't run well with stable for a total of
> years and never had any serious problem.
>
> Testing has the benefit that -- unlike unstable -- it will eventually
> become stable. I enjoy the 'quiescence' that sets in after testing
> becomes stable and there is nothing happening to my system, except for
> trivial security fixes. If you are like me and generally prefer 'stable'
> software, than 'testing' is your route.

Well, then I'll adjust my view accordingly ;)

I seem to recall *something* (who knows what at this point) that
slipped into testing early after the sarge release and because of a
series of unfortunate events, the poor testing users were stuck with
serious problems while those in sid blithely moved along. I'll chalk
it up to either a one-off situation or (more likely) corrupted bits in
the ol' wetware.