Re: etch installation on Compaq Proliant ML350 fails

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 05:46:20PM +0200, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian etch on a Compaq Proliant ML350. During
> the installation process some hardware is recognized, the network card
> too, and gets an IP address from the DHCP server. Before partitioning, a
> message appears saying that the installation procedure can't find the
> disks and asks to choose a driver. The machine has an Adaptec SCSI RAID
> controller configured as RAID 5 with 3 disks connected to it. I tried to
> choose some options, no way to go further. There is already a Debian
> installation on this machine, so Debian works, but it's a woody with a
> 2.4 kernel. Now I want to format and start with a clean Debian
> installation. Moreover I have installed etch on more modern HP servers
> without problems. Any suggestion to complete the installation on this
> machine?

Confirm that you want to replace Woody with Etch rather than leaving
Woody intact and installing Etch on a different set of partitions
(perhaps with dual-boot).

If you want to replace Woody, have you considered just doing an update
to Sarge followed by an update to Etch?

Is it possible that Linux has removed support for the SCSI card in the
Etch kernel?  Which generation (G#) is this proliant and which adaptec
scsi card?

Doug.