Re: Read-only root (/) except /etc

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:04:31 -0400
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 03:12:08PM +0000, lists2008@skaro.afraid.org
> wrote:
> > I don't *need* things read-only. I would just rather not *need* to
> > have my root filesystem read write.
> >
> > I gave some reasons above for why I would like to be able to
> > crontrol if and when the root filesystem is subject to writes..
>
> However, consider: as things stand now, only root can alter files
> which don't have write permissions for others.  Sure, if the
> filesystem were mounted ro then root couldn't write to the files
> either (or delete files).  However, root could always remount / rw.
> Therefore there is no security in a system once root is compromised
> whatever you do.  If root is not compromised, then standard unix
> permission scheme will provide the security.

Thank you for that explanation.  This is exactly what I was thinking
about, and thus, for my purposes I don't need read-only root.  Digby
makes some interesting suggestions as to why one might want ro root
that are more interesting, but they don't apply to me.

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore