Re: Read-only root (/) except /etc

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:52:22AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 01:40:01AM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
>
> > The need to have the root filesystem mounted r/w annoys me too. My
> > ideal scenario is to be able to have everything read-only except /home
> > (for user file modification) and /var (for all files the system wants
> > to modify). It's great for security (esp if you have hardware write protect
> > on your hard drives) and simplifying backups (no need to look at the
> > read-only ones).
>
> Why exactly do you need things read-only?
>
> Try the package flashybrid for a different approach to a similar
> problem.

I don't *need* things read-only. I would just rather not *need* to
have my root filesystem read write.

I gave some reasons above for why I would like to be able to crontrol
if and when the root filesystem is subject to writes..

Running a flash based system is certainly one application that would be
made easier by this.

flashybrid looks interesting for embedded applications. But I would
really like to be able to flick on the hardware write protect switch on
my root filesystem on a regular server and know that nothing will break.

Regards,
DigbyT