Re: euro sign / nobreak space

On Saturday 12 April 2008 21:43, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Nigel
>
> On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:17, Manon Metten wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set
> > > "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5
> >
> > key",
> >
> > > coz that's where it is located on my keyboard.
> > >
> > > At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option
> > > eurosign:5,compose:menu".
> > > (I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to
> >
> > get
> >
> > > the EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I
> >
> > get is
> >
> > > no EuroSign.
> > >
> > > Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no
> >
> > EuroSign.
> >
> > > What did I do wrong?
> > > What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?
> >
> > Hi Manon. I have a few keboard layouts setup, but on the GB one, the
> > right alt
> > key (ALT GR) plus the 4, gives me the € sign. On the US keyboard layout,
> > right alt plus E does the same. French keyboard, right alt plus E again,
> > and
> > the same for portugese layout.
>
> I have a US keyboard, but it just won't work. I have tried all options (2
> key, E key
> and 5 key) but nothing works. Whenever I press the Alt-Gr + E, the Edit
> menu opens
> (same with the left-Alt + E).

Well I tried adding the € to the 5 key on my Etch install, which only has the
original US keyboard layout. The only box I checked in xkb options was the
"Add the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 now gives me the €
char.  The command shows:  setxkbmap -option eurosign:5

> > I also found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the
> >
> > > options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.
> > >
> > > What is a level, and eg. if I set it to second level, how do I access
> >
> > the
> >
> > > nobreakspace char then?
> >

> Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.But whatever settings I try,
> I don't get a nobreakspace char (ascii 160).

 Later on I checked the box "Space key output nobreakspace at third level". I
tried ALT-GR plus space in Gedit, and Kwrite, and that still makes a space,
but in KDE's Konsole ALT-GR plus space results in no visible space, but a
continual string of characters, so it appears to be working, but what it's
used for, I have no idea. Perhaps someone would tell me.

The command now shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5,nbsp:level3

The ALT-GR key is the default one for accessing level 3, and I havn't messed
about with changing level 3 access to a different key.

Nigel.