Re: Mplayer runs slowly, screen split diagonally

>  >>> When I try to play a DVD using mplayer it runs slowly, something
> like 4
>  >>> frames a second.  The screen is split diagonally and it seems as if
> one
>  >>> frame is pasted into the top left half of the screen and the next into
>  >>> the bottom right.
>  >>>
>  >>> Any ideas about what is happening, how to diagnose it or how to get it
>  >>> working correctly.
>  >>>
>  >>> Currently I am using the latest Debian testing distribution packages,
>  >>> though I have had similar problems with etch.
>  >
>  >> You don't tell use whether your system is a P90 with an et4000/w32
>  >> video card, or a 3GHz Core2Duo with an NVIDIA 8900 and the nvidia
>  >> driver.
>  >
>  > My system has a Pentium III processor at 1 GHz and I have a 16 MB ATI
>  > Rage 128 Pro 4X AGP video card.
>
> a) Has it always run this slowly?
>
> b) What video driver are you using?
>
> c) What *exact* command line are you using to view the movie?
>
> d) Does it view acceptably in other players, like vlc or xine?

I was trying to run mplayer from the GUI. When I ran it from the command line I got a lot of information. What I have concluded up to now is that the diagonally split screen is to do with interlacing and the slowness is to do with lack of processor time.

It seems as if I now need to sort out which are the best video and audio drivers and interlacing. And sort out how to get the GUI to use these settings (I now know about .mplayer/gui.conf). I wish there was a nice clear explanation somewhere of how to find the optimum settings.

I will leave it for now as it is taking up to much of my time. Thanks for your help, Ron.

John