Re: how to fix my broken system..

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:48:15PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 04/11/2008 03:59 AM, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
>> Hai I have a problem here.
>> I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports,
>> with the following command.
>> #apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3
>> [...]
>
> For future reference, you almost never need to use "-t <distribution>"
> when using backports.org. Instead you set up your /etc/apt/sources.list
> to pull from only the directories on backports.org that support your
> chosen distribution.

That is only if you set up apt pinning.

Using backports.org is very simple:

1. Add this line

	deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib	non-free

2. Run apt-get update

3. All backports are deactivated by default. If you want to install
something from backports run:

apt-get -t etch-backports install "package"

You can also use pinning:
Then you have to set a higher priority for each backport, yes that means
every backport, also for every dependency. For mutt, you have to add
these lines:

Package: mutt
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 999

to your /etc/apt/preferences (if you haven't used pinning before, the
file has to be created).

Then run apt-get install mutt as usual.

Unless it has changed recently.

--