Re: X configuration with xserver-xorg-video-intel

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:25:31AM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I'm not on the list, Keep me in the CC.
>
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:08:20PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:36:53PM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> > > I have 2 PCs with a 915 chipset.  One wants to use 1280x768 resolution and
> > > the other wants 1152x864 resolution.  I haven't setup a new system in a
> > > while with X and I'm running into some problems/differences.
> > >
> > > I like to have my systems setup so that I can cycle through different
> > > resolutions.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this to work.  The debconf
> > > configuration for xserver-xorg doesn't ask about the video anymore.
> > > Here's my current configuration:

> > > Section "Screen"
> > >         Identifier      "Default Screen"
> > >         Device          "Configured Video Device"
> > >         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> > >         DefaultDepth    16
> > >         SubSection "Display"
> > >                 Depth   16
> > >                 Modes   "1152x864" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
> > >         EndSubSection
> > > EndSection
> >
> > the intel driver is pretty good at detecting stuff these days. I
> > recommend you start with a bare bones xorg.conf and see what it
> > detects before you start trying to force things on it. Comment out
> > everything in the screen section except the Identifier, Device and
> > Monitor and see what happens.
>
> Unfortunately I do *NOT* want it detecting this "stuff".  As I said, I have
> 2 computers.  Both are using 17" CRTs (4:3).  The section you quoted was
> added after my initial configuration and one used 1152x864 and the other used
> 1280x768.  On both, I have only 1 resolution.  I'm unable to use the
> C-A-plus/minus to change from one resolution to another.  The resolutions
> listed in the display subsection is the ones I want to beable to use on both
> machines in the listed order.

I see. I was unclear as to exactly what you wanted here. So far as I
know, the intel driver ignores the Modes lines and goes with what it
detects unless you tell it otherwise. There is an option you can set
that tells it to follow the MOdes, though I can't for the life of me
find it at the moment (sorry).

What output do you get from xrandr?

> > A close scrutiny of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will then tell you exactly
> > what it finds...
>
> I looked, but didn't see much.  I saw mode lines for several resolutions on
> the one that is doing 1280x768.  I did not see 1152x864 on that one.  I also
> enabled modedebug in the video driver just to see what it says.

> Should I send the xlog (if so, /w or w/o modedebug)?

I think without modedebug at the moment.