Re: X configuration with xserver-xorg-video-intel

I forgot to mention that I'm not on the list, Keep me in the CC.

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:08:20PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:36:53PM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> > I have 2 PCs with a 915 chipset.  One wants to use 1280x768 resolution and
> > the other wants 1152x864 resolution.  I haven't setup a new system in a
> > while with X and I'm running into some problems/differences.
> >
> > I like to have my systems setup so that I can cycle through different
> > resolutions.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this to work.  The debconf
> > configuration for xserver-xorg doesn't ask about the video anymore.
> > Here's my current configuration:

> > Section "Screen"
> >         Identifier      "Default Screen"
> >         Device          "Configured Video Device"
> >         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> >         DefaultDepth    16
> >         SubSection "Display"
> >                 Depth   16
> >                 Modes   "1152x864" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
> >         EndSubSection
> > EndSection
>
> the intel driver is pretty good at detecting stuff these days. I
> recommend you start with a bare bones xorg.conf and see what it
> detects before you start trying to force things on it. Comment out
> everything in the screen section except the Identifier, Device and
> Monitor and see what happens.

Unfortunately I do *NOT* want it detecting this "stuff".  As I said, I have
2 computers.  Both are using 17" CRTs (4:3).  The section you quoted was
added after my initial configuration and one used 1152x864 and the other used
1280x768.  On both, I have only 1 resolution.  I'm unable to use the
C-A-plus/minus to change from one resolution to another.  The resolutions
listed in the display subsection is the ones I want to beable to use on both
machines in the listed order.

> A close scrutiny of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will then tell you exactly
> what it finds...

I looked, but didn't see much.  I saw mode lines for several resolutions on
the one that is doing 1280x768.  I did not see 1152x864 on that one.  I also
enabled modedebug in the video driver just to see what it says.

Should I send the xlog (if so, /w or w/o modedebug)?