Re: PTP camera, setting rights does not work

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 04/06/08 18:30, Anton Pussep wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 04/06/08 16:31, Anton Pussep wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 04/06/08 13:43, Anton Pussep wrote:
I experience difficulties to access my PTP camera as non-root. The
camera is a Canon A580, that supports PTP via USB very well. I can
access the camera as root, but not as a local user.
Using the gphoto manual
(http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html) I tried to
make
hotplug and HAL set permissions, but it did not work. For hotplug I
created a usbcam.usermap and a usbcam script, but the script does not
get executed. After that I tried HAL, but it seems like there is no
policy file for gphoto.
I don't know how to proceed in this problem, may be someone else
has an
idea? Who should be responsible for setting rights in general, hotplug
or HAL? Why isn't there a policy file for gphoto, when there is an
information file?
Add yourself to the camera and plugdev groups.
There is no group "camera" in my system. I added myself to the group
"plugdev", however, but it did not help.
Then you need to create it.  BTW, what branch are you running?
I did, but it didn't help. I still couldn't find any file that refers to
the "camera" group. I am running Debian lenny (testing), last upgraded
on 6th of April 2008.

My main question is where are the permissions set? They are not
hardcoded or set magically I guess, there must be a script that is
responsible for doing so.
By udev.
Okay, there is a file /etc/udev/libgphoto2.rules, it only mentions the
"plugdev" group. But even though my user is in that group (and also
"camera"), it still does not work.

Here's a thought: did you log all the way out after adding yourself
to that group?

So which devices group is supposed to be set to "plugdev" or "camera",
anyway? dmesg output says:

usb 2-10: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4

But this doesn't really help.

Does it or /var/log/syslog indicate anything else?
I am having similar problems with a Nikon Coolpix L11 that I just bought. I had not even tried, however, to run gtkam as root until I read Anton's post. I checked the gphoto site and it said that the camera was supported, so I went and bought it. I can access it as a Mass Storage device, but if I set it to PTP and try to use gtkam, it does not work. I have since determined that support for the L11 was only recently added, so is not in the version in Etch. The camera should be recognized as a generic PTP camera, however. If I run gtkam as a normal user and tell it to detect the camera then it says it found a PTP camera, but it will not initialize the camera. If I start gtkam as root then it detects the camera just the same, but it DOES initialize the camera and I can view, save and delete images. I, also, would like to be able to run gtkam as a normal user and not as root. I have added myself to the plugdev group (camera does not exist here, either, as on Anton's box) and I have completely logged out and back in, but the results are the same. Can anyone help Anton and me?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com