Re: business card install - kernel

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 04:31:28AM -0700, tofu.oni@gmail.com wrote:
> If I'm using the business card CD install, I get to a page that says,
> "Install the base system" and lists about 30 different kernels.  I
> can't find any web page or documentation that explains the difference
> between each one.
>
> I have found pages like this:
> http://packages.debian.org/etch/linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
>
> Which tells me this package contains (gasp) a 2.6.18 linux kernel
> image.  Thanks, but see, that part is obvious from the name.  What
> isn't obvious is why, on the "Install the base system" screen, there's
> an option for:
>
> linux-image-686
^^^^ pick this one: depends on the most recent (Etch) linux kernel for a
686.
> linux-image-2.6-686
depends on the most recent linux kernel version but only if version 2.6,
for a 686
> linux-image-2.6.18-6-686
An actual kernel, version 2.6.18-6 for a 686.
> kernel-image-2.6-686
Linux kernels used to be called "kernel-image" but the named changed to
"linux-image" so that in future you could choose, e.g. openbsd-image to
run an OpenBSD kernel.