business card install - kernel

If I'm using the business card CD install, I get to a page that says,
"Install the base system" and lists about 30 different kernels.  I
can't find any web page or documentation that explains the difference
between each one.

I have found pages like this:
http://packages.debian.org/etch/linux-image-2.6.18-5-686

Which tells me this package contains (gasp) a 2.6.18 linux kernel
image.  Thanks, but see, that part is obvious from the name.  What
isn't obvious is why, on the "Install the base system" screen, there's
an option for:

linux-image-686
linux-image-2.6-686
linux-image-2.6.18-6-686
kernel-image-2.6-686

And I don't understand why someone would pick one of those over the
others.

Thanks.