Re: apache2 does not display blosxom blog

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 05:12:34PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Faced with the prospect of frequent regular updates to WordPress
> (entirely too much hassle; this appears to be a result of the recent
> acquisition of WordPress by Google(?)), I am considering a return to
> blosxom.
>
> But I have misplaced my notes from my previous installation of
> blosxom, and I have not yet discovered how to get apache2 to display
> the blog.
>
> In the blosxom package, README.Debian says that data files belong in
> /var/lib/blosxom/data , and the example configuration file
> blosxom.conf agrees:
>
>     $datadir = "/var/lib/blosxom/data"
>
> But testing with the URL http://localhost/blosxom/ displays a page
> which reads as follows:
>
>    Index of /blosxom
>    [ICO]	Name	Last modified	Size	Description
>    [DIR]	Parent Directory	 	-
>    [DIR]	images/	29-Mar-2008 01:11 	-
>    Apache/2.2.8 (Debian) Server at localhost Port 80

Have you got the CGI directory set up correctly in Apache?
i.e.
ScriptAlias /blosxom/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/blosxom
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
	Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

Try running a test CGI script.

> I installed blosxom before I installed apache2.  Does the installation
> sequence matter?

You could purge blosxom, then install it again if you think it matters.

> If you know of a simple and robust blogging engine which correctly
> generates RSS feeds, I am open to recommendations.  The blog is for my
> own postings, and not for comments.  I need only text -- no images, no
> bells and whistles.

Blosxom - version 2.0-13
apache2 - 2.0.54-4

--