apache2 does not display blosxom blog

Faced with the prospect of frequent regular updates to WordPress
(entirely too much hassle; this appears to be a result of the recent
acquisition of WordPress by Google(?)), I am considering a return to
blosxom.

But I have misplaced my notes from my previous installation of
blosxom, and I have not yet discovered how to get apache2 to display
the blog.

In the blosxom package, README.Debian says that data files belong in
/var/lib/blosxom/data , and the example configuration file
blosxom.conf agrees:

    $datadir = "/var/lib/blosxom/data"

But testing with the URL http://localhost/blosxom/ displays a page
which reads as follows:

   Index of /blosxom
   [ICO]	Name	Last modified	Size	Description
   [DIR]	Parent Directory	 	-
   [DIR]	images/	29-Mar-2008 01:11 	-
   Apache/2.2.8 (Debian) Server at localhost Port 80

I installed blosxom before I installed apache2.  Does the installation
sequence matter?

If you know of a simple and robust blogging engine which correctly
generates RSS feeds, I am open to recommendations.  The blog is for my
own postings, and not for comments.  I need only text -- no images, no
bells and whistles.

RLH