Re: Mounting Windows Samba shares without using smbfs

Hugh Lawson wrote, on 31/03/08 00:06:
Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> writes:

The smbfs package, which depends on samba-common includes the
mount.cifs binary:

[ snip ]

The format of the /etc/fstab entry changed, requiring the IP address
of the remote system rather than just the NetBIOS name:

# old format, should all be on one line:
#//chocolate/chocolatec /chocolatec smbfs
rw,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset
=utf8,codepage=cp850    0       0

# new format, should all be on one line:
//10.0.0.2/chocolatec /chocolatec cifs
rw,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=ut
f8      0       0

On my very small home network, the Windows computer gets its IP
address from a router by dhcp. How to get this IP for the remote Linux
/etc/fstab file?  Can this be automated?

I set up my router to assign IP addresses based on the MAC addresses of the machines, having tried a few other ideas and not succeeded. One could also assign static IPs to the machines.

Arthur.