Mounting Windows Samba shares without using smbfs

As smbfs is no longer maintained, what is the proper way to mount samba shares in linux?

Most of the user guides out there rely on 'mount -t smbfs ....' to mount windows shares. I heard there is a mount -t cifs? But that doesn't seem to work in etch box that I have.

In the meantime, I am using smbclient to access the windows shares. I like the tool. It is ftp like and gets the job done. However, it is much easier to have the share mounted and perform the common file operations directly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Amit