Disabled /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon: adverse reactions?

My booting of Etch was being slowed by /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon, so I removed execute permissions from that file, and now my boots are 10 seconds faster.

However, the avahi-daemon still starts. Will there be any adverse consequences to disabling .../avahi-daemon on my system?

I'm a dialup user, and I assigned a static IP address to eth0, so I'm hoping I don't need the avahi-daemon at all. (However, I'm not to clear on what it does.)