Re: Disabled /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon: adverse reactions?

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 05:38:17PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> My booting of Etch was being slowed by
> /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon, so I removed execute permissions from
> that file, and now my boots are 10 seconds faster.
>
> However, the avahi-daemon still starts. Will there be any adverse
> consequences to disabling .../avahi-daemon on my system?
>
> I'm a dialup user, and I assigned a static IP address to eth0, so I'm
> hoping I don't need the avahi-daemon at all. (However, I'm not to clear
> on what it does.)

I don't have it installed at all.  Then again, I don't use gnome.  I
just checked aptitude and some pice of gnome depends on avahi-daemon.
Check on your system and see what's keeping it installed.

If gnome requires it, to me that would be another reason not to use
gnome.

Doug.