Re: HP Photosmart and Epson Stylus Photo printer compatibility?

Marc Shapiro wrote:
I am in the market for a new printer and I like HP for Linux compatibility. So I went to linuxprinting.org and printed out the list of HP printers to take with me to Fry's. Fry's has the HP PhotoSmart D7160, D7260 and D7460. The listing on linuxprinting.org has the PhotoSmart D7100, 7200 and 7400 all listed as working perfectly. Can anyone verify if the newer versions currently at Fry's work as perfectly as the older ones?

I also saw the Epson Stylus Photo R260 listed as working perfectly, but, again, the model available at Fry's was the slightly newer R280. Can anyone verify the functioning of this printer under linux?

Often, what is meant is that a particular /series/ is supported by a
driver or program.  I cannot be 100% sure without having tested, but on
the HP printers, I would feel good about buying, say a D7160, because it
is a D7100 series printer.

Also, HP has been known to give the same printer slightly different
model numbers to let retailers, e.g. Best Buy, say that that model is an
"exclusive" that can only be found at that retailer.  In reality, you
can get the same or virtually the same printer at Circuit City or Fry's
under a slightly different model number.

Take this information with the required number of salt grains.

--
Mark Allums