just like the old days (TeTeX to TeXLive)

Lord, so I decided to upgrade my laptop (a Lenovo T60) to
testing/lenny so as to try out TeXLive and suddenly found myself in
one of those linux weekends of long ago (which I've never been sure if
I missed or not) when you're up to the wee hours searching through the
archives of mailing-lists, and hand-compiling kernel modules, and
re-writing beautifully hand-crafted configuration files and so on.

The upgrade to Xorg meant that my ATI card would no longer do direct
rendering; so I upgraded to the 2.6.24 kernel and that fixed
the problem with direct rendering, but now none of my wireless cards
(all of which worked beautifully before) work at all.

But the problem I'm most anxious to solve at present has to do with
the change from TeTeX to TeXLive.

I have some fonts hand-installed in /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/
(Adobe Minion) which I use more or less constantly. All worked very
well before, but following the upgrade, TeX can no longer find
them. Or to be more exact, dvips (or xdvi or pdflatex) calls kpathsea,
which calls mktexpk, which complains:

  don't know how to create bitmap font for LY1-MinionPro-BoldDisp-kern-liga-onum-base

The fonts are installed in /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts and
/usr/local/share/texmf/ is the value of $TEXLOCAL.

Previous upgrades (within the tetex framework) have always handled
this without difficulty.

Is there a kind soul here who could point me in a useful direction
with this problem?  Is there something very different as between TeTeX
and TeXLive about how locally installed fonts are handled?

Thanks very much,

Jim McCloskey