Re: no sound on compaq armada 7770dmt with ess-1878 sound card

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:00:25PM -0700, joseph lockhart wrote:
> well i have been working on getting an old compaq
> armada 7770dmt up and running with debian etch 4.0r2.
> everything works good, only i cannot get alsa to find
> the sound card at boot, sound card is a ess-1878.
>
> added the sound module to /boot/modules but that
> didn't seem to help, checked alsa manpage and that
> allowed me to check the right mod but suggested adding
> the mod to /boot/modules which didn't help. any other
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That should be /etc/modules.

What happens when you run alsaconf? Let it run all the way through, i.e.
let it probe for legacy cards, let it keep running, it has to probe irq
and dma channels.

If this doesn't work, you will need to get the irq and dma from the bios
and configure using the modconf utility.

Sorry I cannot remember the syntax for the parameter line. :-(

Ask here again if you get stuck, but please provide the results of what
you have tried.

--
Chris.
======