Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 03:10:05PM -0400, Chris Walters <cjw2004d@comcast.net> was heard to say:
> First things first.  I typed in many popular search terms into that page, and
> found that the instance of all were declining.  I would also note that this is
> only *one* search engine.  It could simply indicate that people are using other
> search engines more, and that one less.

  As I posted in another sub-thread, the only information I could find
on the topic indicates that the Y axis on that graph represents a
*proportion* of overall search queries.  The general downward trend you
see is probably a reflection of more people searching for a larger
variety of things.  Even if the absolute *number* of searches for "Debian"
was going up, the trend line could still be heading down because people
are searching for completely unrelated terms (say, "Barack Obama" or
"gravid platypus" [0]) more than they used to.

  Daniel

  [0] I think the next Ubuntu release should be named "gravid platypus",
      don't you?  ;-)